Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gay

When I started "Ocean" I didn't think sexual preference would come up. Just as I wouldn't point out how ruggedly heterosexual a character was, unless it was relevant. Then I met *name withdrawn to prevent spoilers*, and realized that I couldn't honestly portray Kaito without mentioning how he felt about *name withdrawn etc.* It wouldn't be the focus, this is a horror story after all, but how many horror stories have a romantic subplot: either two character that fall in love, or an established couple? Take a minute to think about it.

Yes, a lot. So whenever I wonder how much to disclose about Kaito I remind myself that if it's OK for a straight character, it's OK for him. If a publisher reads "Ocean" and goes "Eww, too gay" then I didn't want to be published with them anyway. I'm sure there is a debate about whether sex is ever "relevant" outside of erotica. My position is that fiction should reflect real life. In real life, people bone. Including, and sometimes especially, when they are scared. Granted, they should probably wait until the monster is not actively trying to eat them. So you have my solemn word, Kaito will not go the way of so many horror movie sluts. For one, he knows the difference between "knocked out" and "dead." And he's not going to tell his lover to check out a strange sound, while he cowers in the bedroom in his underwear. Something to think about, ladies.

3 comments:

Katey said...

The need for more gay characters is certainly at the forefront of our minds this week--I applaud you! :D

Aaron Polson said...

I'm just glad Kaito isn't "TSTL".

(too stupid to live)

And "Eww, too gay" publishers? Who needs 'em, anyway? ;)

Danielle Ferries said...

Just write what feels right and see where the story takes you :)